Sunday 5 October 2014

SIMPSONS DID IT - Baby Translator

Real Life can be much more interesting than fiction. With over 500 episodes, The Simpsons have used a lot of ideas: so many reality is starting to copy them...


Homer's brother Herb came up with a stupid idea for an invention that ended up making him a whole lot of money.  But no one would make it for it in real life, right?


In "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" Homer Simpsons designed a car for his illegitimate half brother Herbert Powell.  A car that sent the company broke (although some of the features exist today, according to a previous Simpsons Did It.)

The character of Herbert Powell returned in Aug 1992's "Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?" in which, to get back on his feet, Herb borrows some money from Homer and uses it to create a Baby Translator.  The invention takes off and Herb is rich once more.

But the invention was a silly idea, right?  Something the creators came up with... too stupid for anyone to really make or buy?

Takara Tomy (usually just Tomy in the US) is a Japanese toymaker (you may know them as the guys who many the original toy lines that became the Transformers; and by "you may know" I mean, I know because I have a brain full of useless trivia I must share and you probably didn't care enough to know).  Tomy, the toymaker (because I'm sure you've lost track because of my previous aside) are makers of the Bow Lingual Bark Translator a real product.  Look it up on Amazon.  It exists.  And while you're there, check out some of the reviews.  Or just read them below:
Anyway, sidetracked again.  Tomy make a dog translator.  Just as stupid as the Baby idea.  Well, my job here is done.

What do you mean, "it's not the same thing"?  Fine.  Whatever.  In May 2009 Tomy announced that they were making a Baby Translator.  Really.  Follow the link for a source.  It seems however, nothing came of it because I can't anything about it beyond the initial announcement.  So someone did announce that they were going to make one.  Well, my job here is done.  Again.  Or for the first time.  Whatever.

What do you mean, "announced isn't made"?  Fine.  You've made me do it:
Here's an app in iTunes (for $1.99) that says it's a baby translator and one for Android (free).
[No, I'm not implying that Apple users are willing to pay more for something that should be free, those are just 2 I found, no doubt there's free ones for iOs and pay ones for Android.]
So, there.  Well, my job here is done.  Again.  Or Again again.  Or for the first time.  Or not at all.  Screw you.  It's a fluff piece.  I don't care what you think.

~ DUG.
Leave a comment below, because I care what you think and would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment